Just like any holistic health enthusiast I consistently research natural ways of treating chronic health issues or soothing occasional pains and aches.
And since I’m passionate about the gut and I know from personal experience the impact the gut has on our overall well-being, it comes as no surprise that I am inclined to looking for solutions to heal and soothe the gut any chance I get.
That’s how I ended up experimenting with essential oils. And I don’t mean just diffusing essential oils for aromatherapy purposes, but actually taking essential oils internally to soothe an upset stomach, boost immunity, detoxify, support oral health, create feelings of clear airways and more.
While I have been using essential oils for a long time now aromatically, I never knew that they can also be ingested if they are 100% pure and natural essential oils. Until recently, when I was blown away by the immediate effect a drop of essential oil can have!
But not every essential oil is suitable for internal use. Not all oils are created equal. It needs to be a potent and pure essential oil that’s also designed for internal use.
There are just a few trusted brands that produce pure essential oils, with no fillers or other chemicals, and my favorite one is doTERRA. They are not just 100% pure but derived from organic plants, making them perfectly safe for ingestion and topical applications.
My Top 5 Essential Oils for Soothing Stomach Upset
1. doTerra DigestZen
A blend of several essential oils well known for their ability to aid in digestion, soothe occasional stomach upset, and maintain overall digestive health when taken internally.
This unique blend contains Ginger, Fennel, and Coriander to help ease occasional stomach discomfort, including motion sickness and indigestion, while Peppermint, Tarragon, Anise, and Caraway aid with digestion and help maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
This is a great aid to have on hand when stomach upset occurs and is safe and effective. Internal use of DigestZen is a healthy, natural, and gentle way to soothe an upset stomach or maintain a healthy digestive system.
How to use:
- Add a few drops to 4 oz. water or tea to take internally and soothe a stomach upset and maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
- Rub on the stomach before flying or taking a road trip for a calming aroma.
- Take DigestZen internally when traveling or trying new foods to soothe occasional stomach upset.
2. Cardamon Oil
A close relative to Ginger, Cardamom is known as an expensive cooking spice and for being beneficial to the digestive system in a variety of ways.
Cardamom is commonly used internally to help soothe occasional stomach discomfort. Its distinct scent can promote a positive mood and when ingested Cardamom also has profound effects on the respiratory system.
How to use:
- Use internally as part of a daily health regimen to support healthy gastrointestinal function (dilute 1 drop in 4 oz. of liquid).
- Add to bread, smoothies, meats, and salads to enhance food flavor.
- Diffuse or inhale for a sense of openness and mental clarity.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil) to minimize any skin sensitivity.
3. Fennel Oil
Fennel is best known for its distinct licorice aroma and taste, as well as its ability to promote healthy digestion. It may help support the health of the lungs and respiratory tract and can be added to water or tea to help fight sweet tooth cravings.
Fennel is also known for its ability to promote healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation.
How to use:
- Internally: Add 1-2 drops to 4 oz. liquid to promote digestion, promote respiratory function and fight sweet tooth cravings.
- Topically: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
- Aromatically: Use 3-4 drops in your diffuser of choice.
4. Ginger Oil
Internal use of Ginger is best known as a digestive aid and for helping to ease occasional indigestion and nausea. Ginger essential oil can also be applied topically or inhaled for a soothing aroma.
How to Use:
- During a long car ride, diffuse or place a drop of ginger in the palm of your hand and inhale.
- Apply over lower abdomen for a soothing massage.
- Use Ginger essential oil in your favorite sweet and savory dishes.
5. Spearmint Oil
Spearmint has been used internally for centuries for its digestive benefits. Its sweet, refreshing aroma is cleansing and uplifting, making it ideal to evoke a sense of focus and positive mood. Because spearmint is milder than peppermint it’s a safer option to use topically on children and those with sensitive skin.
In cooking, Spearmint is frequently used in salads, drinks, and desserts, but it can also be used in homemade salad dressings and to marinate meats.
How to Use:
- Diffuse to uplift mood
- Apply to toothbrush before brushing teeth for fresh breath.
- Add a drop or two to any dessert, drink, salad, or entrée for flavoring and to promote digestion.
- For occasional stomach upset, add 1–2 drops to water and drink.
As you can see there is more than just one benefit to using essential oils, which is why they have been used since ancient times for overall good health and to treat various health issues.
I personally use a variety of oils for diffusing throughout the home for uplifting the mood during the day and for creating relaxation and inducing restful sleep at night. But more importantly, I now take a drop or 2 of various essential oils in my morning water to promote digestion and aid in the natural detoxification process.
Be mindful, though, of the uses specified for each essential oil to determine if it’s suitable for internal use as well; certain oils are not to be used internally.
The essential oils mentioned above are just a few of the many that can help with maintaining a healthy digestion, boosting immunity and more. If you want to check them out or even get some for yourself follow this link >>
Since I’m such a big fan of doTERRA I have now made these essential oils available on my website, so you don’t have to go too far to buy them in case you, too, want to experiment with them. Once you do, you’ll get hooked just like I did ☺
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
If you have frequent digestion upset or you often feel tired your gut could be the culprit. My newly released book “Your Healthy Zesty Life” focuses on addressing the root cause to often undiagnosed chronic health problems that lead to exhaustion, weight gain and mood disorders.
The book will help you identify the why and what behind your lack of energy and reveal the how behind regaining your energy and zest for life. It will help you uncover and eliminate those internal obstacles that have been holding you back from feeling and looking your best! Its unique advantage is that it’s based on my actual life experience, having overcome cancer and managed to thrive and feel better than ever before by implementing the lessons taught in this book.
The book won the IIN Top 10 Author Contest organized by the Institute for Integrative Nutrition!
Want even more recipes and healthy-zesty tips? Sign-up below to get them directly to your inbox!